Thursday, November 4, 2010

Popcorn Balls


Sorry it's taken me so long to get this posting up. An annoying headcold and general lack of motivation have prevented me from getting any real, productive work done. Plus, I think I get a little too riled-up about elections, and it makes me a tuckered-out girl.

Every Halloween, I make popcorn balls. Gooey, puffy, sweet little bundles of goodness. The first time I ever made them (by myself, at least. I had made them with my mom in the past), I had an awesome recipe that used molasses. It was amazing. Of course, now I can't find it, so I've been using this one instead. It a decent replacement and will do the trick, at least until I find my original recipe again.

*************************

Popcorn Balls

2 c. sugar
1 1/3 c. water
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 quarts popped popcorn (NOT microwaved)

1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook over high heat until mixture reaches 255 degrees (hard-ball stage) on a candy thermometer. Stir in vanilla.

2. Pour over popcorn, tossing gently to cool. Grease hands with butter or shortening. Quickly press coated popcorn into 3-inch ball (be sure not to pack too tight - you want to be able to bite into it!). Cool completely on greased cookie sheet.

***************************

I know it's rare to actually get these nowadays when trick-or-treating. We usually get a dozen or so kids to the farm each year, and we are lucky to live in a community where we know everyone pretty well. I feel comfortable handing them out, and would feel just as comfortable if my kids received onel. I always make extras for kids to take home to their older siblings and parents, as well.

I wrap the popcorn balls in plastic wrap, then in some fun Halloween fabric, tied with ribbon. I also add a little Silly Goose Farm tag to each popcorn ball, just so you know where it came from.

This year, Edie figured out this whole popcorn ball thing. Dave and I were relaxing in the living room last week, and all the sudden Edie came stomping in, sat down in the middle of the floor, and started noshing on a popcorn ball. The little thief broke into the pantry, unwrapped it, and left the evidence all over the kitchen floor. She thinks she's so clever.

Stay tuned for some another fun Halloween recipe (although I know you're all Halloween'ed out by now).

2 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

Popcorn balls are very nostalgic for me. We, too, used to get them when we went trick-or-treating as kids....along with apples and homemade cider doughnuts. There was never any thought that we shouldn't we be eating them. It's nice to know that there are still places where kids can enjoy them!

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Urban Cottage - I just made some yummy donuts a few weekends ago. Can't go wrong there! I'm glad the nostaligic feeling was evoked with you - we're lucky we live in such a nice community.