Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry sauce - undoubtedly my favorite part of Thanksgiving. I remember being younger and hating cranberry sauce, but as I've matured, I've discovered a true love for it. As you're prepping for tomorrow's big meal, take a little time to try the "Official Silly Goose Farm" cranberry sauce recipe.


********************
Cranberry Sauce
Makes Approx. 1 Pint/2 Cups

1 bag cranberries
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup orange juice (1-2 oranges, depending on "juiciness")
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Strong dash of ground cloves
Strong dash of cardamom powder

1. Wash cranberries and remove any leaves or stems. Place in a large pot.

2. Add remaining ingredients to pot. Cook over medium-high heat for about 30 minutes, or until the cranberries have popped and softened, and the sauce has become thick and ruby-red. Serve warm or chilled.

********************

Yes, Virginia, it really is that easy. I tend to quadruple the recipe and make a couple of large batches each year. I process it (ie: can it) to have at the ready. It's great served along pork chops, added to rice pilaf for a little kick, or mixed with mayonnaise for turkey sandwiches.


Even if the rest of your Thanksgiving is from a box, try making this simple, quick, from-scratch recipe to dress up your holiday feast. Everyone will be impressed with your efforts! Have a wonderful Turkey Day, my friends!

4 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

I always use orange juice too but the spices sound wonderful! I'll definitely have to give that a try.
Happy Thanksgiving! Steve

Prippy Handbook said...

I'm going to try this out tomorrow! You are such an amazing cook... I just hope it is half as good as the preserves you so kindly gave me!

Daryl at Vermont Cottage said...

Such an easy and good-looking recipe. I'll give it a go tomorrow or, at the very least, on Friday with leftovers. Thanks for sharing!

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Thanks for these wonderful comments.

Steve - I know, orange juice just gives it a little "oomph," right?

Prippy-Pripster - Thank you for such nice word! For you, I'd make ANYTHING! You can't mess this one up, I promise!

Daryl - As good as it is straigh-up, I think it's a little better the day-after sandwiched between two slices of toasted pumpkin bread with all the fixins :-)